I just need to tell you, this was extremely difficult to write. It definitely took some courage…The struggles are real!
First of all, we were seriously spoiled during our previous move. As part of our first re-location package (10 years ago) the moving company came in and moved us. When I say they moved us, I mean they did EVERYTHING. This move, NOT SO MUCH! As part of this relocation, we have to move ourselves. Frankly that’s asking a lot, doesn’t everyone know moving is really a big deal. Especially when you’ve lived somewhere for 10 years, and looking back I’m pretty sure we have been doing our part (and then some) to “Keep up with the Jones!” Now my friends, I’m paying for it. Boy do we have a ton of STUFF!
As we prepare to pack, who even knows where to begin. Especially when you are still not clear on when and where you’re actually moving. How do you expect me to be motivated when I don’t even know when we’re leaving. As many of you know, I’m a planner and a Project Manager by trade. But without all the information it’s been a bit of a struggle. In my role as project manager, it wasn’t uncommon to work with little to no information, frankly I always been able to provide creative “work-arounds.” My packing strategy thus far has been to pack as much as I can. But wait now I need something that I just pack, well unpack it and problem solved. Needless to say, I’m working in circles.
What else do you do with this kind of dilemma? Take it to FACEBOOK! My Facebook peeps gave me some great advise, many experts in the art of moving.
- “Start with your storage areas” – Done!
- “Keep only what’s necessary, if you find out you need it later borrow from a friend” That would have been a great idea, but instead I went through all the boxes until I finally found my printer.
- “If you’ve not used something in the last week, pack it” – As soon as I did, I needed it.
- “Leave everything behind, and buy all new stuff when you get there” – I kind of like that idea! So tempting!
- “Make yourself a hospitality kit – just keep out what you’ll use in the next 2 weeks and pack the rest.” – Love that!
- “Pick one thing and focus on it, you have to prioritize” – totally true!
- Advise from myself to myself: “Less time on FaceBook!”
Thank you to my experts, most of who are military wives!!!
So Instead, here I am writing a blog post. The good news is that this week I’ve been on a roll. About 10 boxes packed just this week…go me!!!
Thanks again to my moving experts. In full transparency this has been a difficult week. Though I’ve received great advice, and it seems so simple, there is an emotional element that makes all of this a little difficult. It’s through sharing and a great support system that I can continue looking forward.
Speaking of looking forward, we can’t wait for next week’s reveal, will it be more details about beach house or Montreal!? Stay tuned!